Did you ever wonder what it would be like if the seasons never change? That would get old very quickly… fall never comes with new colors or smells, winter never arrives with all of its cold and snow, spring stays away with rain and new blooms, and summer is just hot and humid with no cooling off…
Thankfully we are not in that state and our seasons do change. With that, so must we. Growing up I have seen a lot of traditions, been involved in many of them, but they never change. They stay the same but with adding more people as kids grow up and get married and have kids of their own.
This comes at a time when things are rapidly changing. Holidays are approaching and families getting together because of tradition. But what about starting new traditions? Or getting out of the whole tradition thing and doing something new each year, not having them? I know that a lot of us are stuck in our ways and do not like to admit that (because that would be embarrassing and showing off our vulnerability to the world, it feels like) but we all need to change just like the seasons do.
I will be the first to admit that I do not like change one bit. Nope…even growing up, I was just like my family, never changed and stayed the same every year… I didn’t even know if I liked something new or would try something new. It’s a very odd experience for me. But when I met my husband, he encouraged change (which I love about him and still do). He got me out of my comfort zone of not changing and I have warmed up to the idea and am now excited to change things about my, thoughts I think, things I do, even my communication. It’s hard to do, don’t get me wrong, I even forget to change because I am so used to my comfort zone. But it can be done…and here is what he has taught me:
1. Stand up for yourself no matter how hard it is. It will be a shock at first but it is something you have to do in order to gain the respect of people.
2. Have the courage to change. All it takes is just 10 seconds of courage, then you are able to conquer what you need to do.
3. It’s especially hard to do to those you love, but is the most important.
4. You learn bad habits through out your life but the positive note is that they can be learned out of you.
5. You must change your thoughts in order to change yourself. Dr. Wayne Dyer said “When you change the way you look at things, the things you look at change.” Very powerful!
6. You become a better person and people will want to hang around you. They will respect you more.
7. Don’t let any one control you, they have no business controlling you. You are the only one who can do that.
8. You are going to have to change sooner or later other wise it will destroy you and eat you up alive. Personally, I would rather have it be sooner.
9. Every season changes: winter to spring, summer, fall … and so we need to continue to change like that. Every day is different and we need to realize that we are not the same person that we were the day before.